Thursday, December 13, 2007

ARTS HIGH SCHOOL OBSERVATIONS

I really enjoyed my observations at Arts High School. Mrs. Anglin (U.S. History I) was really nice. I sat in the back of the classroom and did my observations. I really tried to take in my surroundings. First, I looked at the classroom. I checked the classroom set-up. The teachers desk was all the way in the right corner of the class. Her desk appeared to be neat and organized. I also looked at the set-up of the students desks. They were set up in groups. There was a chalkboard and an over head projector. The classroom seemed a bit small and somewhat cluttered. There were posters and projects all over the classroom. There was also a small desk with a computer sitting on top of it. I then observed the class itself. The class was small. The teacher taought the lesson by using the blackboard and the over head projector. She handed out hand outs in the beginning of the class. The handouts had the course objectves and also the homework for the week. The teacher got the students involved by asking them questions and usingreal life examples. The students particiapted in the lecture. The teacher gave them group assignments. The students seemed interested in the lesson. The teacher was doing a lesoon on Habieus Corpus. I asked the teacher how she motivated the students. She told me she motivated them by encouraging them to work gard, she told them that they could do anything that they put their mind to. She encourages them by giving them confidence. Mrs. Anglin gives group projects, and also an 80 mintue test, I'm assuming during each marking period. She said that the students usually do well on the test. Mrs. Anglin makes calls home to parents when she has to. She also has parent teacher conferences when needed. She sometimes shows videos in the class. Mrs. Anglin likes giving extra-credit to the students. It encourages them to improve their grades. Mrs. anglin tries to challenge her students by making them think outside the box. In her lessons she tries to use visual aids. Overall I had a really great experience at Arts. I would love to go back.

No comments: