Thursday, December 13, 2007

VOLUNTEER WORK AT NORTH HALEDON ELEMENTARY

This was a fun experience for me. It was my first time , volunteering in the after school program. All grades in the elementary level are allowed to attend. It costs $200 per month. I think its well worth the money. Most of the volunteers are college students like myself. We helped the students with their homework. After they finished they were allowed to have free play.The hours of operation are from 3-6pm. The students really seemed to enjoy themselves in the after school program. They enjoyed being around their friends. The program is held in the school cafeteria five days a week. This is a really good program for parents who work and can't pick up their kids on time. There is also a field trip that the students get to go on, since the parents are paying monthly. I really look forward to volunteering again.

3 comments:

Future Spanish Teacher said...

It seems like a really good experience, especially because we want to go into teaching. I wish I could have done that, and I will look for an activity like that in the future.
I wonder if you observed if there was a lot of parent involvement, or if you asked the teachers about it. I think there are several reasons for parents to leave their children in an after school program. Sometimes they do not have the academic knowledge to help their kids, even if they want to. Other parents have to work,and do not have anyone to babysit their kids. I just wonder if these children feel neglected by their parents. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.